We cherish our children for what they are and what they do as raunchy little trouble makers. They continuously eat, crawl, put things in their mouth, and through it all make us laugh from time to time. But, such actions may disturb their sleeping habits from the day in and day out. Especially your newborn babies.
It is somewhat expected for newborn babies to just lay in your arms and snore their way throughout the early years of their life. But what about those newborn infants who might have a hard time sleeping?
For curious mothers (or just any other baby enthusiast) out there who love to shower their tender love and care towards these little bouncy babies, here are some of the things you might want to know to deal with newborn infants not sleeping.
1. Adjusting their day or night time period
Just like any other adult, parents should also be aware of the newborn baby’s body clock. And although most infants are asleep most of the time, try to let them be awake during the morning by talking to them and keeping them busy. That way, the newborn infant won’t have a hard time sleeping during the night.
It is also best for parents to guide their newborn infants and keep an eye on them. It can be tiresome for any other parent, but it will grant them peace of mind to know that their adorable newborn baby is sleeping peacefully at night.
2. Carefully shroud the baby with comfortable clothes and covering
The following procedure is relatively standard among newborn infants. It mainly due to their incomprehensible motor skills and their little knowledge of moving or working their bodies. This can be troubling for both the parent and the newborn infant as it may agitate the body of the baby and might render them sleepless if not tucked in properly.
Most parents can comfortably cover the baby with smooth and cottony fabric that may secure the newborn infant in place, giving them no choice but to be immobile and go to sleep. Additionally, this may also help the baby not to wriggle their way to dangerous and unfamiliar places.
Parents should not only abide by the security of the baby by covering them with clothing and blankets. They should also prioritize the comfortability of the baby by not heavily constricting their body with those clothing and at least let the baby breathe to a comfortable slumber.
3. Adjust the lighting of the baby’s room or turn them off entirely.
Another thing to consider that parents should implore is the overall lighting and the fixture of the household. Is there too much open light on the living room? Is the baby’s cradle placed in direct sunlight?
Parents should understand that newly-born infants are somewhat sensitive towards bright and well-lit fixtures. Nightlights are probably the most essential and reliable form of lighting tool that can be used at night. This may help the newborn infants to sleep and will surely not irritate the baby as they sleep.
Additionally, parents should consider buying an efficient lighting fixture for the baby’s room. It should be not too bright that it may intimidate the baby, and should also be not too dim that parents may have a hard time cleaning and fixing the room.
Parents should also adjust the location of the cradle and should not be positioned where the sunlight might shine. This may agitate the baby and may cause some serious circumstances if the parents are not attended to.
4. Bring the Baby outside from time to time
Parents should consider the climate, the humidity, and the general nature of the environment before taking them outside. It may sound peculiar, but the reason why parents should occasionally bring their newborn infant out is to expose them to the cool breeze and the warm natural sunlight during the early morning, where the sun rays can carefully penetrate the body.
According to western researchers, exposing the newborn baby to the outside surroundings may help the baby initialize their internal clock to wake up during the day and voluntarily sleep during the night. Additionally, the external environment’s natural characteristics may aid the newly-born infant to slumber safely and adequately.
5. Don’t let the baby sleep during day time
This option should be a given natural course among parents. As mentioned before, do not let the newborn infant sleep during the day, where the sun practically shines and everyone is awake. This may disturb the infant’s proper sleep schedule and might give them a hard time sleeping at night.
Instead, let them be active during the daytime so they can be fast asleep during the nighttime. Alternatively, don’t let the newborn baby be fully awake at night. This might confuse the infant baby and might render the baby tired or exhausted during the next day.
Why is My Newborn Baby Having a Hard Time Sleeping?
There are numerous important factors to consider as to why the newborn baby is having a hard time sleeping at night. Parents should know these characteristics to understand whether it is a practical issue or something crucial that might affect the baby’s health.
1. The baby must be hungry or does not gain enough proper nutrition from the parents. It is essential to know that starvation is the common reason why babies wake up at night, as they can fully digest the milk in just a nick of time. Try preparing for additional formulas, or sleep with the baby to prepare yourselves when they wake up in the middle of the night
2. The baby might need something that needs parental guidance. Parents should understand their newborn baby in terms of what they want and what they need. This can be entailed towards their health issues, or that the baby might have lost their adorable scarf, or may suggest that the bottle is empty.
3. The baby might be injured that the parents are not aware of. The baby must have hit their body on a hard and palpable surface or might have unintentionally injected a foreign object towards their mouths or their ears.
4. The baby might have trouble with its nappy. This can be fully described if the baby had filled their diaper, which may cause irritability in sleeping. Parents should attend to these hygienic circumstances to keep the baby healthy and safe.
5. The baby might be sick or does not feel very well. If the baby is not hungry, does not need anything from you, or that the diaper is not full, the chances are that the baby might be suffering from a mild or moderate sickness. It can be from a common cold, constipation, or other unknown diseases that may inflict danger on the baby.
6. Generally, the baby might just need their parent’s companion. Most newborn infants want to be with their mother or their father without verbally telling them. It is essential to attend to the sudden cries or sobs of the baby so that parents can help them sleep at night.
Considering everything that has been mentioned above, newborn babies practically need all the attention they can get while they are significantly young. Parents should further understand the wants and the needs of the baby that might disturb their sleep.
During the night, parents, as well as their newly born babies, should generally be asleep. So imploring this information may help the parents seek their newly born sons and daughters as to why they are having trouble sleeping at night.